Monday, January 26, 2015

Paratha Crispy Popiah, Main Place, Subang Jaya (Second Visit)

It was a day of caloric intake between the early lunch and the shared mug of coconut drink. We immediately decided that since we'd be skipping dinner and needed to run some errands in Taipan, we'd stop by Paratha Crispy Popiah for a late snack - as I still have possession of the Worthy Book vouchers.



Stepping into the building again, I was more familiar with the location of the stall; it was hidden at a corner and may be tough for a first-timer to locate as there isn't a visible landmark (like a large signage). After making my way through the crowd, I found myself standing in front of the stop. It may be a small space, but the owner has done a good job of maximizing the space by making it huddled under a roof to evoke the feel of a house. The tables and chairs in front of it were like garden tables outside the entrance.


Taiwanese Seaweed Popiah (RM 6.90) consists of a coating of mayonnaise, julienned cucumber, Chinese turnip and carrot, floss, fried shallots with bonito flakes as the topping; rolled in green-colored popiah skin and a sheet of nori.



With the minimal usage of mayonnaise, it added a refreshing taste to the sore throat and resembled something like raw food, where little heat is introduced to the ingredients, leaving the nutrients intact. There is a crunch when you bite into it. I couldn't quite identify if it was fried shallot or something different, but it was definitely crispy that you can hear it.

I loved the fact that it's the elements that stood out as the main characters and balanced each other in terms of colors and flavors. The green-colored popiah skin was tofu smooth and made in such a way that it didn't interfere with the rest of the dish.

Now, for the directions: from the escalator, make a sudden left turn (like making a U-turn). You'll notice that Gelato Fruity is on your left. Walk further and you'll notice Latte Me and Porridge Time. In front of you would be Oyster King and Kaki Lima. Next to Porridge Time would be Paratha Crispy Popiah, fronting Ookii Ki.



Paratha Crispy Popiah,
LK - 02,
Lower Ground Floor,
Main Place Shopping Centre,
Jalan USJ 21/10,
Persiaran Kewajipan,
47630 Subang Jaya,
Selangor

For more information on Worthy Book, you can peruse the following links... or even purchase a booklet for yourself to use?

W: www.worthybook.my
F: www.facebook.com/worthybook
I: www.instagram.com/worthybook
T: www.twitter.com/worthybook_my
B: www.worthybook.blogspot.com
Y: www.youtube.com/user/WorthyBook

FnB Edition is available at all major bookstores (MPH, Popular, Times, Borders, Kinokuniya) and selected myNEWS.com outlets in KL and Selangor.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know right, suituapui. =/ I wasn't sure what to make out of it when I looked at the dish. The last time I had it somewhere, it was known as rolled vegetable sushi (or something like that).

      Delete
  2. When I saw the first picture, I was thinking: "What popiah? That's sushi!" LOL!

    Interesting way to make popiah, this..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought too, CL! =) It tasted like sushi too... except that crispy part did remind me slightly of popiah, lol.

      Delete
  3. Yea ...i had the same thinking as RG. Huh sushi? LOL.

    I wonder if they have the normal popiah coz not really crazy about thistype of popiah skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's even the Japanese version as well. =O

      Yes, they do have the normal popiah, SK. =)

      Delete
  4. What an interesting name .... I wouldn't have known to put paratha and popiah together in one name :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what to expect when I first patronized the stall, Sean, lol. I know right; it's not like paratha and popiah are synonymous. =)

      Delete
  5. What an interesting place! :)

    Do they actually have popiah wrapped with roti pratha instead of nori or regular wraps? That would be quite interesting! I know tourist heavy places like Siem Reap and Bangkok sells roti canai as "pancakes" and wraps it up like a roll sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. ^^

      I've no idea, Huai Bin. =O I hadn't had the time to give the popiah a shot before my fight departure, but judging from the picture, I think it's just regular wraps.

      Delete

Please refrain from using foul languages - or I'll not hesitate to delete the comment. If you don't see your comments, please inform me about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...